Monday, August 04, 2008

The Remix Bag

Meet the Remix Bag, so named since I took a little of this and a little of that from different things I've done in the past and wove them together to get this. I don't have a pattern per se. You've heard it from me before. I wing. But, here's a brief description.

The Remix Bag
Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Yarn (2 complimenting yarns)
crochet hook E
needle, ribbon, drawstring toggle (and I embellished a smidge with beads)

Base
Chain 62. SC in 2nd CH from hook and in each CH across. CH 1 and turn(turning chain counts as 1 SC).
SC approximately for 10 rows.
From here you are continuing the base following the technique from NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED MARKET BAG. SC around the entire piece, making sure that the opposing sides have the same number of sc. Follow instructions from NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED MARKET BAG starting with Row 11. Keep in mind that I am using SC and not HDC and chaining 1 instead of 2. Continue with Row 12.
Next row, SC all around. Change color yarn. You will be weaving in ends as you go. SC around (ending with SL ST for each round) for 4 rows. Switch to primary color. SC 1 row. Now onto the mesh.
**CH 2. Skip one SC space and SC in next.** Repeat ** to end. Mark the starting chain.
Continue for about 8 rows. SL ST to join. Then 2 sc in each 2 chain space around. SL ST to join. SC in each SC for 1 row. Change yarn and SC for 4 rows. Switch yarn and SC around. Repeat process from ** until desired height of bag. SL ST to finish.
Mark on both sides of bag where handles will go. Insert hook and start handles. I did width of 5 SC. SC rows to desired handle length. Attach end with SC.
I found 2 nice ribbons to use as accent and as a drawstring closure. The ribbons were just weaved into the mesh part. I slipped the ends through a drawstring toggle, added beads and tied off ends. Weave in any loose yarn ends.
Hope this was enough of a tutorial to get you through. If you are trying to make this and get stuck...do what I do ...do whatever you want!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I love it! I think this is my favorite yet. Looks so earthy and beautiful at the same time.