Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We love the Oldies

Old Toons
You know how one thing leads to another? Well, we started off the morning doing "paperwork." Z did a dot-to-dot of Dino from the Flintstones. Of course he had no clue who the Flintstones were much less Dino... Thank goodness for YouTube!

Soon we found ourselves in front of the screen watching the intro to 2 Flintstones episodes. Which made me think. How cool are the Flintstones to a 4 going on 5 (in one day!) year old kid! It's got dinosaurs, construction, foot pedaled cars and one really strong kid that likes to bam.

The right bar on the screen gave me more ideas.

I clicked on shows I remembered: Speed Buggy, Speed Racer, Captain Caveman, and the Jetson's. Anyone remember these gems? I watched his face light up as he watched George jet around in space, the awe when his vehicle turned into a briefcase.

Now, I realize the content may not be appropriate for all the little ones. Hey, that's what parents are for! But, the one thing the old toons offer are stimulating imagination and lots of laughs. And, they fit the interest of little boys.

It would be nice to see these in reruns... on regular television. I think kids get enough of the real world.

Old Tunes
I introduced my son to songs from the past. He has latched on to one with the intensity of a croc in a death roll. He calls it "Peter of the Pack."

He insisted it was "Peter" and not "Leader."

Catchy tune, cool motorcycle engine roars, and a terrible crash. What's not to love?!

How about the repeat function on your car cd? Thank goodness for short car rides!

Yesterday I found a tape cassette of the song so he could listen to it in his room on his Fisher Price cassette player. Just before bed, he began to sing along for the first time. I can't begin to tell you how cute it is to see him singing

"My folks were always putting him down (down down)

They said he came from the wrong side of town

(Whatcha mean when you say that he came from the wrong side of
town?)

They told me he was bad

But I knew he was sad

That's why I fell for the leader of the pack."

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I love the mental image of your little guy singing Peter of the Pack. This is so derned cute.