Monday, February 26, 2007

Thank God for Visa

On Friday I took our dog, Lucy, to our vet for a blood test. Her seizure medication had been changed from phenobarbitol to KBr; she'd been completely weaned for 1 month. The vet wanted to check her bromide levels. I was back home by 11:00 and let Lucy briefly sniff and do her thing on the grassy area in front of our complex.

About 6:25 that evening, I was giving my son his bath. My husband came to get me. Lucy looked like she was having seizures. We traded, and I went downstairs and took her into my arms. I stayed with her for a while, absorbing the tremors that racked her 7 pound body. She seemed to calm, the abnormal shaking subsiding. I put her on her bed, and the awkward movements resumed. When a huge spasm took over her body, I put her in her carrier - she threw up - and grabbed her medical record. I took her out of the bag, carried her in my arms and the bag by its strap and drove to the Animal ER hospital.

The receptionist says, "What's the problem?"
I say, "She's seizing."
The receptionist says, "Seizing? Is that it?" like I was stupid to bring my dog in for such a minor thing. Then I realize she'd thought I'd said something entirely different.
I spoke again, "SEIZ-ING."
"Oh. I thought you said sneezing."

I filled out the paper work as Lucy was taken to be examined. Question after question were thrown at me. The doctor didn't think this was a seizure. They were fairly certain she got into poison - probably snail bait. I was baraged about where I had been (vet and grassy area), plants in my house (none). Did I know if snail bait was used out there? (no)

Lucy also threw up at the vet's. The doctor informed me they had given Lucy valium to try to stop her body tremors. She responded briedly, then the shaking returned. Next she was given a muscle relaxer. That worked which led the doctor to believe strongly it was best to treat her for poisioning, although he couldn't find evidence of snail bait granules in her vomit.

I agreed to treatment: IV, charcoal, and meds as needed. Then asked if he wanted to look through her vomit from home. I've watched enough CSI to think it may have come in handy. He thought it was a good idea too, so I gave them the dog carrier.

I went home. The doctor would call me in the morning. The wait is the hardest part. I couldn't think to type. I didn't feel up to reading. My mind was on her. So I knew of only one way to shut off my brain. I slept.

In the morning, I went to the store to get new dog food. Less than a week ago, I had switched her from Pedigree to Purina. My husband and I strongly suspected the change in diet triggered her condition. I know the doctor felt it was poison, but I was pretty sure she didn't get into anything during her visit to our regular vet. And, we were on the grassy area for maybe 2 minutes, during which time I didn't see her eating anything. Also, everyone walks their dogs there. Was it just my luck that the one time I did, she would get poisoned from there? I even found out that snail bait had not been used. The only thing put in that area was fertilizer which occurred 3 weeks ago. So, I paid for the Pedigree, hoping I'd get the chance to feed it to her.

My husband took my son out for the morning. I stayed home and waited for the doctor's call. I got the good news that she pulled through and was doing well. I hopped in my car and drove to bring her home. When she saw me, I was amazed. Lucy has a greeting she reserves just for my husband. It's a whimpering, whiny, "Where have you been all day? I've missed you so much. Let me tell you about it." I was on the receiving end this morning. "Where have you been? I didn't think you were ever coming back. I missed you so much. Don't leave me here. Do you have any idea what they did to me?"

We got home. I gave Lucy my face to lick so she could get it all out of her system. Then she settled into my lap and went to sleep.

$120 for the check up. $606 for the trip to ER. Doggy home and well--priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that everything went well. I had a similar experience and it did not turn out so well. It was the worst day ever. It still brings me to tears to think about it! Squeeze that pup tight! They are oh sooo precious!