Monday, January 22, 2007

Plotter or Pantser

According to eHarlequin, there are two types of writers: the plotter and the pantser. 2 weeks ago, I would have told you I was a plotter. I'm the geeky type. I try to be organized. I have my index cards ready to go. I frequently make lists of lists on Excel. I thought I was a plotter. Until I read that article on eHarlequin.

And started writing my stories, yet again.

This time was different. This time I just wrote. And instead of getting stuck on page one, I have made it to page three! So what is different?

I'm doing the panster method. I'm writing by flying by the seat of my pants. It means I'm not getting caught up with the details like what is my character's motivation and where did she go to high school and what was the name of her favorite pet.

I'm writing like I would write my poetry. I'm letting the words come to me, listening to the voice in my head that tells me this sounds right.

I'm finding that as I write, as I fly, "fly into the mist", my characters are developing. I'm not forcing them to be someone...they are chosing who they want to be.

For the first time, I feel like I'm on the right path. I'm flying.

So with a broken wing, here I go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! I want a SIGNED COPY!