Friday, September 22, 2006

What my 3 year old knows about writing

A 3 year old's mind is an amazing thing. Inquisitive! Free! Honest! They soak up new information like a sponge with the attention span of a gnat.

Yesterday it dawned on me. After answering many of my toddler's typical questions for the upteenth time, I had a revelation.

My toddler is teaching me to be a better writer.

He asks questions. Lots of questions. Unrelenting questions continuously bombarding me.

What's he doing?
What's his name?
Where's he going?
What's he got?

And he asks questions even when he thinks he knows the answers.

Extremely important for a writer.

I need to keep asking questions. Play the "What If" game more often. About people. About my characters. Who are they? What are their names? Where are they going? What are they doing? And keep asking those questions over and over so I know I am still on track.

I am firmly convinced. Watch the children. They are showing us the way.

1 comment:

Mr. Pendous said...

This sounds a lot like what an actor asks about his character.

Let's not forget: "What is his motivation?"