Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's a Small World (Take 4)

So Close

Early this year, while my son and I were in Home Depot, we saw a lady with her little chihuahua. Being a chihuahua owner myself and seeing how cute her little pup was, I couldn't resist going over.

She was an extremely nice lady, and we had a long chat (I can be quite the conversationalist!). I found out she was dog sitting her daughter's dog. We talked about potty training for chihuahuas and temperment and obedience. Apparently, that cute little pup flunked out of her first obedience class and was currently seeing a personal trainer. I shared my training tips and told her about The Dog Whisperer program (Cesar Milan is my hero!). After a while we finally went our separate ways.

A few weeks later I run into her again at the grocery store (sans dog) and we exchange greetings.

More time passes.

Then, one day while my son and I are outside of our home playing, I see an unknown car drive up. We live in a sort of dead end street. There is only one way in and out, so we know every car in our vacinity.

The car stops at the house next to us. I see it is the lady from Home Depot. Recognition! Surprise! Excitement! She is equally shocked to see me. She gets out of the car, and we immediately begin talking.

It turns out her daughter lives next door to me! Has lived next to me for at least 4 years!

Amazing. And this lady had even told her daughter about meeting me in Home Depot.

Even more amazing is I've talked more with my neighbor's mother than I ever had with her. Now, I know my neighbor's name, her mother's name, and her dog's name. We are friendlier, more neighborly, all due to the chance meetings with her mother.

See, I told you! It really is a small world. Keep your eyes, ears and heart open. You never know who you may run into or the connection you may have.

1 comment:

Mr. Pendous said...

So wait... the dog who was listening to the original long Home Depot chat was living next door to you the whole time? It never tried to tell you, "HEY! Howyadoin' neighbor?"

Or maybe you it had been, and you just need to brush up on your Chihuahua language skills.