Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A plus B

One day at Target, we were standing in line waiting to pay for our items. My son notices the lady behind us. Never a shy soul (my son will talk to anything that breaths... and even that is not a requirement) he begins his litany of questions with this lady. But this time, there was a change in his questions. He asks "Are you going to the doctor?"

I'm a little puzzled and taken aback. It seemed to be a strange question. Then I notice. She was carrying a large envelope which she was purchasing.

My son had made the connection from his limited life experience.

He has never seen us mailing a large envelope. But, he has seen Daddy taking a big brown envelope (for x-rays and MRIs) whenever he goes to the doctor. For him, large envelopes equal doctor's office.

I am constantly amazed at how little minds work. It makes me wonder what else he may have seen or heard and what that might mean to him. We make such an impact in the lives of children. Is it the right one? It is certainly something to think about.

No comments: